Thursday, September 23, 2010

Avery


There have been times when I have doubted my parenting skills. Recently I have had to take a very hard look at my ability as a mother. What will my kids say about me when they are grown and I am gone? I may not want to know the answer to that question. I look at Avery and I can see why I fell in love with Jeb 20 years ago. With all of the dysfunction and sadness I lost sight of what is truly important in life. Avery has overcome so many obstacles and has become a stronger person because of it. He has had to watch his sister struggle with her mental illness AND help his handicapped brother. I am so proud of A (his nickname). I have no doubt that he will succeed in life. I see the way he treats his girlfriend, the love and respect that he has for her. Anytime I need reassurance of my parenting skills, I just look at Avery. I must have done something right. Through all of my mistakes, I have had a part in raising an honorable human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment