Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Always my daughter

We went to court today. While sitting there, I saw my daughter. She had gotten into a fight at the group home (she received medical care) and as a result her lip was split open and she had some bruises on her face. The whole time while sitting in the courtroom, she was vacant. No emotion. Just a shell that had been beaten. I kept waiting for some sort of sign that she knew what was happening or that she even cared. I know that she is mentally ill, I have come to terms with that. I cant just excuse her behavior because of an illness. What kind of parent would I be if I didnt believe in consequences?  For a long time I did just that, excused her behavior. Jeb and I overlooked some of her actions just to keep some sort of peace in our family. Everything that we have done as parents had led us to this day. So, there we were sitting across from the little girl who I used to sing to sleep. Together we have loved and cared for Summer. Today was the day that a judge decided that Summer needs more than we can give her. As her parents we can no longer care for her. I havent stopped being her mom, I havent stopped worrying about her and I have not stopped loving her. Physically, she belongs to someone else. Summer has never been mine. God placed her in my heart so that I could be her mother. God knew something that I didnt, he knew that no one would ever love Summer as much as me. He knew that I had prayed for a little girl when I was very young and that I would treasure her with all of my heart. I am thankful for the moments I have had with Summer. I was able to raise a daughter into a young woman. God trusted me with that awesome responsibility.   

1 comment:

  1. I pray that God turns this situation around!!! I pray that He does for you what He did for the Israelites in Jeremiah (although under different circumstances): turned their grieving into rejoicing!!!! I pray that somehow He returns your daughter to you to hug and love in person!

    ReplyDelete